Friday, May 22, 2009

Jack's Widow. A book review.


I just finished reading Jack's Widow by Eve Pollard; a novel about Jackie O.
It is my opinion that those who are historical fiction authors are the least acknowledged (and appreciated) for their incredible talent. Certainly not all, but a great many of these literary artists perform the daunting task of both being historians and researchers - which takes a knack for facts and an infinite attention span - AND creative and believable - because they are charged with making true facts more interesting, while maintaining believability, while intertwining pure fiction.
One thing I really like about Pollard is that she speckles her story with great descriptions of Jackie's clothing. "All her lingerie, the tulle, satin and organdy, even the silken threads that held them together, was hand-dyed in Paris to match her skin to perfection." "...she bathed, fluffed up her hair, slipped into a pair of cyclamen-pink tapered trousers and a dyed-to-match cashmere crewneck." You can see her, can't you? Jackie, in all her glamour (and, according to this tale, all her torment) still managing to pull off chic perfection when it comes to her appearance.
USA Today was right - I did get sucked into the hijinks and loved every minute!
BUT...Who is the real Jackie?
This curiousness on my part has led me to finally getting a library card! I just checked out a biography on Jackie Kennedy Onassis as well as on Coco Chanel. This plastic card is one I hope to melt rather quickly from overuse!

No comments:

hatchlings